BIOGRAPHY: Dr. MaryAnn Diorio
Dr. MaryAnn Diorio is the wife of Dominic A. Diorio, MD, a retired Emergency Room physician. Dom and MaryAnn have been married for 47 years and are the blessed parents of two amazing adult daughters, Lia Diorio Gerken, PhD, and Gina L. Diorio, M.A.; parents-in-law to a fantastic son-in-law, Peter Gerken, M.S.; and grandparents to five wonderful, rambunctious grandhildren. Theirs is a closely knit family who enjoy spending time with one another over a good cup of coffee or a delicious Italian meal, usually cooked by Dom, a master chef.
When not writing, MaryAnn loves to read, to paint, to play the piano and cello, and to make up silly songs with her grandchildren. She intensely loves people and had a life coaching practice for 12 years in order to help her clients find their true purpose in life.
Dr. MaryAnn, as she is affectionately called, is a multi-award-winning author who writes fiction, non-fiction, and poetry for both adults and children. Her work has appeared in over 100 national magazines, newspapers, and journals, including The Saturday Evening Post, Billy Graham’s Decision Magazine, The Press of Atlantic City, and Human Events. She has also served as head writer for a regional television series entitled Teen Machine.
Her writing is based not on opinion, interpretation, or cultural consensus, but on Scriptural truth. At all times, she remains faithful to Biblical principles. For more information, visit the following pages:
In 1979, Dr. MaryAnn accepted God’s call on her life to become a writer. For several years, her popular syndicated column, Winning with the Word, appeared in newspapers throughout the state of New Jersey. She was also a contributor to the AMY Foundation’s Internet Syndicate via its national column, Real Answers, that was published in newspapers throughout the United States.
Dr. MaryAnn has authored eleven books:
- The Madonna of Pisano (TopNotch Press, 2015)
- Toby Too Small (TopNotch Press, 2015)
- Surrender to Love (TopNotch Press, 2015)
- Do Angels Ride Ponies? (TopNotch Press, 2015)
Who Is Jesus? (TopNotch Press, 2014)
A Christmas Homecoming (Harbourlight Books, 2012)
- You Were Made for Greatness (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2012).
- Magnolia Memories (TopNotch Press, 2012)
- A Student’s Guide to Mark Twain (Enslow Publishers, 2008)
- A Student’s Guide to Herman Melville, (Enslow Publishers, 2006)
- A Student’s Guide to Nathaniel Hawthorne, (Enslow Publishers, 2004)
Selling Yourself On You: Discovering God’s Will for Your Life (Daystar Press, 1984)
She has also been a contributor to eight other books:
Mastering the Art of Success (Insight Publishing, 2011).
The Young Generation Book of Short Stories
- The Heart of a Teacher (Bethany House, 2005)
- God Answers Moms’ Prayers (God Allows U-Turns series, Harvest House, 2005)
Rest Stops for Busy Moms (Broadman & Holman, 2003)
Rest Stops for Teachers (Broadman & Holman, 2003)
My Turn to Care (Thomas Nelson, 1999)
- Religious Writer’s Marketplace (Abingdon Press,1993)
MaryAnn has written eight booklets:
- Beyond the Grave (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2015)
- After You’re Born Again (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2015)
- God Speaks to Me: Two-Way Conversations with God (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2013)
- The ABCs of TopNotch Writing (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2012)
- Self-Image & the Writer (ebook, TopNotch Press, 2015)
- Making Your Marriage Work (TopNotch Press, 1998)
- Balancing Your Budget God’s Way (Daystar Publishing Company, 1987)
Dating Etiquette for Christian Teens (Daystar Coommunications Press, 1984).
MaryAnn has appeared on several radio, television, and Internet talk shows, including Read All about It with RadioVision program hostess Stefani Milan, the popular Christian Authors Show with Danielle Hampson, the nation-wide LeSea Alive program with the late Dr. Lester Sumrall, By the Book hosted by Debbie Williams, and Women of Grace hosted by Kelly McCausey. She has also been interviewed on WDAS (Philadelphia), WIBG (South Jersey), and WNNN (South Jersey). Articles about her writing have appeared in The Press of Atlantic City, The Daily Journal, The Millville News, The Bridgeton Evening News, and The Times Herald of her hometown of Norristown, Pennsylvania.
Dr. MaryAnn has served as a distinguished judge for the annual AMY Writing Awards Program, the annual Capitol Writers Writing Contest (Washington, DC area), the annual American Christian Fiction Writers’ Genesis Contest., and the ACFW First Impressions Contest. She is listed in International Who’s Who, Who’s Who in the East, International Authors and Writers Who’s Who, Dictionary of International Biography, The World Who’s Who of Women, Who’s Who in the World, The International Who’s Who of Professional and Business Women, The National Register’s Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals, Who’s Who in America, and Who’s Who in Finance and Business. Most important of all, MaryAnn rejoices that she is listed in The Lamb’s Book of Life!
Dr. MaryAnn holds several degrees:
The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in French with a concentration in Comparative Literature from the University of Kansas;
- The Doctor of Ministry (DMin) degree in Christian Counseling from Christian Leadership University;
- The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree in French with a concentration in Comparative Literature from the University of Kansas;
- The Master of Arts (MA) degree in Italian Language & Literature from Middlebury College and the University of Florence, Italy;
- The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in Writing Popular Fiction with a concentration in Writing for Children from Seton Hill University;
- The Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in French from Immaculata University;
She has also completed studies and is a diplomate of the following institutions:
- The Institute of Children’s Literature: Writing for Children & Teenagers;
- The Highlights Foundation Workshop, Writing the Middle-Grade Novel:
- The RHEMA Correspondence Bible School (Three-Year Program of Study);
- Christian Leaders, Authors, & Speakers Services (CLASS);
- The Life Coach Institute (Certification in Life Coaching);
- American Association of Christian Counselors, Light University, Caring for God’s People.
Writing Awards Won:
- The Silver Medal for E-Book Fiction in the Illumination Book Awards Contest sponsored by the Jerry Jenkins Group (2015)
- First Place in Inspirational Category for Novel, Spacecoast Launching a Star Contest (2011)
- First Place in Inspirational Category for Novel, Colorado RWA Heart of the Rockies Contest (2011)
- Second Place in Historical Category for Novel, Romance Writers’ Ink Where the Magic Begins Contest (2011)
- Second Place in Inspirational Category for Novel, East Texas RWA Southern Heat Contest (2009)
- Third Place in Women’s Fiction, American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) Genesis Contest (2006)
- Second Place for Novel, St. Davids Christian Writers’ Conference Contest (1992)
- Honorable Mention for radio script, TAKE ONE Radio Theatre (1990)
- Top 100 Short Stories ranking for “The Birthmark”, Writers’ Digest Short Story Contest (1990)
- Fifth Place, National Writers’ Club Short Story Contest for “The Birthmark” (1990)
- Third Place for “From Feminism to Freedom,” AMY Writing Awards, (1990)
- Poetry Award for “The Beauty of Stars,” National High School Poetry Association Contest (1960)
Dr. MaryAnn has taught Italian at the University of Kansas (Lawrence, Kansas); French at Pitman High School (Pitman, New Jersey); Italian and French at Cumberland County College (Vineland, New Jersey); English, French, Spanish, and Creative Writing at the Fairton Christian Center Academy (Fairton, New Jersey); and Writing for Children and Public Speaking at Rowan University (Glassboro, New Jersey). She also served as Assistant Professor of Italian and Spanish at Camden County College (Blackwood, New Jersey); Adjunct Professor of Biblical Business Principles at New Life Bible College (Millville, New Jersey); Adjunct Professor of Writing at Nottingham-Trent University (United Kingdom); and Adjunct Online Professor of French at Regent University (Virginia Beach, Virginia). Dr. MaryAnn is currently Online Adjunct Professor of Fiction Writing at Regent University (Virginia Beach, Virginia).
MaryAnn has served on the faculty of several writers’ conferences, including the Philadelphia Writers’ Conference, the St. Davids Christian Writers Conference, the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers’ Conference, the Sandy Cove Christian Writers’ Conference, and The New Jersey Society of Christian Writers’ Seminar.
In 1984, MaryAnn founded Daystar Communications, later known as Daystar Ministries International. She ran this ministry until 2005, at which point it was incorporated into MaryAnn’s other ministries. In 2011, she changed the name to MaryAnn Diorio Ministries.
MaryAnn is also a Certified Life Coach, a Certified Behavioral Consultant, and a Certified Biblical Counselor as well as a gifted Bible teacher whose heart’s desire is to help people become all that God created them to be.
Dr. MaryAnn is a member in good standing of the following organizations:
For all that God has done and continues to do in her life, MaryAnn gives Him all the praise and all the glory!
Amazon.com Required Disclosure: MaryAnn Diorio is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Copyright 2016 by MaryAnn Diorio, PhD. All Rights Reserved.