Telling a Story

Dear Power Writer,

From the beginning of time, people have loved stories. Why? Because stories reach the heart, not the head.

The heart is the essence of who we are. Our communion with God is heart-to-heart, or spirit-to-spirit. We are commanded not to lean on our head, but to lean on our heart (Proverbs 3:5).

Story’s appeal to the heart is transformative. When we read (or write) a good story, our heart is always involved.

In the next few posts, we will explore some ways to get your stories to touch the heart in transformational ways.

Blessings,

MaryAnn

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

11 thoughts on “Telling a Story

1. It’s true. Even a small child loves to hear a story!

I asked Mary DeMuth about bestselling authors breaking the writing rules. Why do WE have to stick with them but THEY do not? She said we all need to hone our storytelling skills. If we tell a great story, the rules don’t matter so much.

Isn’t that freeing?

March 25, 2009 at 9:13 AM

2. I have sat under some very gifted bible teachers. I am a litle chagrinned to say I don’t remember much of their theology. yet I do remember many of the stories they interspersed with their teaching.

March 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM

• Dear Jewish Mother,

I know exactly what you mean. Have you ever been in a synagogue service (or church service) where people are falling asleep? Then, all of a sudden, the rabbi or preacher begins to tell a story. It’s amazing how quickly the sleepers wake up! 🙂

Thanks so much for your post. I deeply appreciate it.

Shalom!

MaryAnn

April 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM

• Thank you, Cheryl! If you have questions about fiction, please send them. I’ll do my best to answer them. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll find out.

Blessings,

MaryAnn

April 1, 2009 at 7:41 AM

3. We have our great example in Jesus! 🙂 He brought us great truths through stories. 🙂

I found this inspiring quote by Janet Litherland:
    “Stories have power. They delight, enchant, touch, teach, recall, inspire, motivate, challenge. They help us understand. They imprint a picture on our minds. Consequently, stories often pack more punch than sermons. Want to make a point or raise an issue? Tell a story. Jesus did it. He called his stories ‘parables’.”

March 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM

4. How true! I think that’s one reason people like certain songs so much: because they tell a story. I always have loved stories. I hadn’t thought about not relying on the head, but I guess that’s just about the essence of “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not on thine own understanding…”, isn’t it?

God bless you for bringing this to our attention! 🙂

March 25, 2009 at 5:13 PM

• You are right about songs, Hope! Now that I think of it, songs that tell a story have always stuck with me.

Blessings,