Given all that is happening in our country at the moment, op-ed pieces from Christian writers are, in my opinion, sorely needed. Here are some tips for writing stellar op-eds:
1) Be timely. As soon as a news item breaks, write about it. Don’t wait until the issue has been endlessly belabored.
2) Be knowledgeable. Know what you are talking about. Do your research. Provide statistics and sources. Check all sources for accuracy.
3) Be gracious. Even if you heartily disagree with a policy, you can still season your writing with grace.
4) Be respectful. Do not tear down the opposing side with ad hominem attacks. Oppose the issue not the people behind it.
5) Be opinionated. In other words, present your position with conviction. After all, in an op-ed, you are writing your opinion.
The op-ed section is generally the most widely read section of a newspaper. So if you want to make a big impact, write op-eds.