Your Writing Goals

Studies repeatedly show that people who set goals accomplish far more in life than those who do not. In addition, people who write down their goals accomplish far more than those who simply keep their goals in their head.

Writing down your goals triggers a focus mechanism in the brain that aids in keeping one’s mind on one’s goals. And when we keep our minds on our goals, we make decisions that move us toward achieving those goals.

If you have never written down your goals, try an experiment. Write down three goals you’d like to accomplish by the end of the year. Then post your written goals in a place where you will see them every day, even several times a day. At the end of the year, list all the goals you have achieved. You may be very much surprised at what you discover. 🙂

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 thoughts on “Your Writing Goals

1. I do that. It does help to post them near your computer so you can read over them.

Sometimes I accomplish a goal. Sometimes a goal changes. Sometimes another opportunity comes along and I choose to take that, which means one goal will be eliminated and a new one entered.

But, yes, we need to have something to shoot for. Otherwise, we flounder around and nothing gets done.

Self imposed deadlines are good, too, or those goals will take waaaay too long to accomplish. 🙂

August 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM

• Great point about self-imposed deadlines, Pam. I heard it once said that the difference between a dream and a goal is that a goal has a date on it. 🙂

Blessings,

MaryAnn

August 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

2. I needed this reminder, MaryAnn! I’ve been floating around this summer and feeling as though I’m not accomplishing much. Time to refocus, set goals, and get going. Thanks and blessings:)

August 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM

• You’re welcome, dear Karen. Sometimes “floating” leads us to new lands of discovery that lead us to new writing projects. 🙂

Blessings,

MaryAnn

August 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

3. Okay, here goes. This SOTP writer is plotting a novel. There I said it. I don’t want this book to take four years to write like the first one.

I’m starting with research and character sketches. Brandilyn Collins’ book, “Getting Into Character,” is next to my notebook.

Blessings,
    Susan 🙂

August 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM

• Hi, Susan,

Another great book is Story by Robert McKee. It’s written mainly for screenwriters (Hey, you never know. Your novel could be made into a movie :)but is great for novelists too. I found it a must read if you want to write fiction.

Blessings,