The Power of Focus

A laser beam has the power to cut through steel. Why? Because of focused light. The power is in the focus. Diffused light, while still light, cannot do what focused light can do.

The same is true of the human mind. The focused mind will accomplish far more than the distracted or divided mind. There is something that happens when we determine to focus. Focus seems to attract all that we need to get the job done.

For instance, have you noticed that when you decide to write poetry, you begin to see poetry everywhere you turn? Suddenly, you are discovering poetry books, articles on poetry, and even people who write poetry. Why? Those people and things were there all along, but your mind was not focused on them.

Focus provides antennae that reach out to draw what you need to fulfill your objective. So ask yourself today, are you focusing on your writing dream? Or are you distracted by so many other things that your dream is in shambles?

Remember: a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways. Let him not think he will receive anything from the Lord (James 1:8).

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

13 thoughts on “The Power of Focus

1. Hi MaryAnn –

I need to set some goals for my writing, as well as time to write. Most of the time, I’m pulled in too many directions.

Thanks for your post.

Blessings,
    Susan 🙂

August 31, 2009 at 9:01 PM

2. Hi Mary Ann. I must confess that distraction has been my life long nemisis. I find it very difficult most of the time to focus because my mind, filled with “things to do”causes me unrest and the “I have to be somewhere else” or “I should be doing the ‘other’ thing”
    wraps me tightly in Duct Tape.
    It has only been in the past year that I try very hard to focus. stay in the moment, etc by asking: “Is this really important? What’s really important?
    And I constantly beseech the Lord: “Lord please help me with my confusion. I can’t really explain it to you, but I really don’t have to because you see into my heart and know what I desire. If it’s okay with You, please help me with it.” Blessings, jim connelly

August 31, 2009 at 12:34

3. This is what I really needed to hear today. Lately, my mind is going in so many different directions that I am getting distracted from my writing. I know that when we keep our eyes on Jesus and what He wants us to do, our writing is more productive. I am blessed that I do get my poems and devotions published regularly, but I see so many opportunities that I miss by not being focused. Thanks, MaryAnn, for your inciteful and encouraging messages. I am trying to get on a better writing schedule. I pray that you will all join me. Let’s keep each other accountable. Fran

August 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM

4. Hi, Jim,

It is okay with God to help you with anything you ask Him. He delights in helping you, just as you delight in helping your children.

Thanks so much for your comment. You are a blessing to us!

MaryAnn

August 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

5. Thanks, Fran, for your post. We all need a reminder once in a while. Don’t you know that my posts are meant primarily for me? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Blessings,

MaryAnn

August 31, 2009 at 2:04 PM

6. MaryAnn,
    This is a helpful reminder for me. Have been feeling rather scattered this summer with company, writing projects, and other odds and ends. Have been regrouping this last week or so and getting much accomplished. I needed this boost, though, thank you! 🙂
    Blessings,
    Karen

August 31, 2009 at 2:42 PM

7. This IS a timely message, and yes, we all become distracted, some more easily than others. Fran–you have much on your mind. I am and have been on a treadmill of distraction, but reading Mary Ann’s blog always helps to center me, especially when I need to focus first on GOD. Mary Ann, I still miss your Daybreak e-mails. Thank you for this loving reminder.
    Love and Prayers,
    Skye

August 31, 2009 at 4:00 PM

8. I’m glad you were listening to God and posted this today, MaryAnn. Like so many of the others, this is something God is still working on in my life. Thanks for the encouragement!

August 31, 2009 at 5:56 PM

9. I don’t know if you’d call it distraction or just so many other responsibilities that I just shut down, but I picked up a wonderful book that encouraged me enough to get me going again. So, if you need to get redirected, try reading a great book on writing to steer you back on the path.

August 31, 2009 at 9:48 PM

10. Hi, Susan,

Thanks for your comment. I think that distraction is one of Satan’s major tools to keep us from fulfilling our God-given purpose. We all struggle with distraction and must fight it daily. One of the best ways I’ve learned is to discover my mission statement, to set goals that relate to my mission statement, and then to say no to those activities that do not move me toward fulfilling my mission statement.

Thanks again, Susan. I so appreciate your participation in our blog.

Blessings,

MaryAnn

September 1, 2009 at 9:23 AM

11. We are all in a perfect position now that it’s September. It’s like a “new year” in the writing world. Everyone is back from vacation and starting to work again.

Once I get the kids back to school, I’m planning to refocus and get done what needs doing … even if that means I can’t go to lunch with friends or letting myself get distracted with yard sales, emails, Facebook, etc.

A good goal. It may prove hard to keep, but I’m going to try!

September 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM