Well, we’ve reached Step Seven in the Hero’s Journey: the Approach to the Inmost Cave. Having grown somewhat accustomed to his new world, your hero now wants to seek its heart, known as the inmost cave. As he continues his journey, he encounters new obstacles and dangers and maybe even a new threshold guardian or two.
As your hero approaches the inmost cave, he may prepare himself for what he will find. For example, in a Christian novel, he may go on a fast or spend time in prayer to prepare for the battle ahead. Or he may spend time gathering information he will need once he reaches the cave.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself in this phase of your story:
1) How does your hero prepare for his approach to the inmost cave?
2) What obstacles does he face?
3) How does he respond to those obstacles?
4) Does your hero encounter a seemingly impossible test along the way?
5) If so, what is this test and how does he handle it?
You are now getting closer to the crisis of your story. The stakes are increasing for your hero.
In our next segment, we will discuss this crisis, called The Ordeal.