Reading is essential to good writing. A writer who does not read is selling herself short. Why is it so important to read widely in order to be a good writer? Here are a few reasons:
1) Reading shows you how other writers have handled the same problems you face.
2) Reading allows you to assimilate, on a subconscious level, the techniques other writers have used to create excellent writing.
3) Reading keeps you informed about what is going on in the publishing industry. This information is critical when preparing your own book proposal.
4) Reading generates ideas for your own writing.
5) Reading helps you develop literary discernment, much as a chef learns to distinguish between a good recipe and an outstanding one.
If you haven’t been reading, start today. Your writing will be all the better for it.