Writers sometimes ask me if they should write a blog. My answer to them is a question: Why do you want to write a blog? Their answer to that question goes far in helping them decide whether or not to blog.
As with most decisions in life, there are pros and cons to blogging. Here are some of the cons first, then the pros.
• Blogging takes time. Writing an excellent blog post can take an hour or more of your day.
• Blogging requires coming up with enough interesting material on a consistent basis.
• Blogging requires a certain set of computer skills.
• Blogging requires advertising your blog.
• Blogging requires discipline and deadlines.
• Blogging is a great tool for serving those in your field of interest.
• Blogging is a viable and respected outlet for your passion.
• Blogging is an effective way to build a presence and a platform.
• Blogging earns you recognition as an expert in your field.
• Blogging keeps you on your toes and on the cutting edge of your field.
Michael Hyatt has written a wonderful post entitled “7 Keys to Writing a Killer Blog Post.” You can check it out here.
Keeping these pros and cons in mind, what do you think about blogging? If you already blog, please share some of your suggestions for creating a successful blog? If you don’t blog, please share some of your questions.