Studying the craft of fiction writing is best done, in my opinion, by reading lots and lots of fiction. But there is also an important place for reading books about fiction writing. Today I’d like to share with you the books that I have found most helpful in learning to write fiction. Please feel free to add to my list in the comment section below.
Here are my Top Ten books on fiction writing:
- Story by Robert McKee
- Save the Cat! by Blake Snyder
- Techniques of the Selling Writer by Dwight Swain
- How to Grow a Novel by Sol Stein
- Story Engineering by Larry Brooks
- Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
- Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell
- The Art & Craft of Writing Christian Fiction by Jeff Gerke
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne & Dave King
- Hooked by Les Edgarton
There are several other books I could place on my list, but I will reserve those for another time. Meanwhile, suffice it to say that the ten books on my Top Ten List have stood out in helping me to learn how to write compelling fiction. All of these books are available through my Amazon Affiliate Store. Just click on the title link to order.
And now, what’s on your Top Ten List of Fiction Writing Books?
Photo Source: Microsoft Clipart
2 thoughts on “Friday Fix (Craft): My Top Ten List of Fiction Writing Books”
A great list. Also love Martha Alderson’s The Plot Whisperer and Christopher Vogler’s The Writer’s Journey. Would love to send you a copy of Make a Scene, too, if you’ve not read it 🙂
Thanks so much for your comment and for your kind offer of a copy of Make a Scene. If I did not already own your excellent book, I would gladly accept your offer. You are most generous.
Wishing you well in your writing endeavors,