Do you have a fearful heart? What is a fearful heart? It is a heart that operates out of fear instead of faith.
A fearful heart manifests in many ways:
- It chooses safety over risk.
- It chooses comfort over sacrifice.
- It chooses pulling back rather than pressing forward.
Did you know that God hates a fearful heart? His Word says that He takes “no pleasure in the one who shrinks back” (Hebrews 10:38). So, what do we do if we have a fearful heart?
Here are a few things that have helped me fight fear in my life:
- Do what you fear to do. Facing your fear is a huge part of overcoming it. You will discover that doing the thing you fear builds your confidence.
- Move out of your comfort zone. Your comfort zone is your mediocre zone. Comfort brings mediocrity; risk-taking brings growth.
- Fear God more than man. This is the most important tip I can offer you. Scripture says that “fearing people is a dangerous trap . . . .” (Proverbs 29:25). But when we fear God above all else, we begin to become wise (Psalm 111:10).
If you have a fearful heart, let me encourage you. Find Scripture verses that deal with fear and memorize them. Speak them aloud as often as you can. Soon you will develop an image of yourself in your spirit as a person of great courage, a person who fears only God and moves forward in His power and might.
Copyright 2015 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All Rights Reserved.