“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines
the course of your life.” ~ Proverbs 4:23
Are you a spiritual baby? Let’s take a look at what that means by considering a few questions:
1) Do you picture God only as a God of love but not as a God of wrath? (I Corinthians 3:2) Spiritual babies get all gushy about God’s love but ignore His wrath. They have no fear of God, which means they do not hold Him in respect and reverence by obeying His commandments. They think that because God is good, He will overlook their sins.
2) Are you still hanging around with people who could care less about following Jesus? (Proverbs 9:6) Spiritual babies won’t let go of friends who are a bad influence on them. Spiritual babies fear man more than God and lack the courage to depart from evil company.
3) Are you always looking for a word from someone else instead of studying the Scriptures for yourself? (Ephesians 4:14) Spiritual babies do not study the Word of God for themselves but depend on others to direct their lives. In so doing, spiritual babies hop from one teacher to another, depending on what they want to hear.
4) Do you still act just like the world? (I Corinthians 3:3) Spiritual babies give more credence to worldly philosophies and current cultural paradigms than on what the Bible says. They try to integrate the world’s ways with God’s ways, not realizing that the two do not mix.
5) Do you persist in your sin by quarreling, getting jealous, and causing divisions among members of the Body of Christ? (I Corinthians 3:3). Spiritual babies fight over petty things and envy others. They gossip and cause division among friends and among brothers and sisters in Christ.
If you found yourself in any of the above, it’s time to grow up! The stakes are high, not only personally but corporately as well. Are you willing to pay the price?
You may leave a comment by clicking here. To receive these blog posts in your emailbox, please click here.
If you found this post helpful, please pass it on to someone who can benefit from reading it. Thank you!
To learn more about growing up in Christ, get your copy of Dr. MaryAnn’s popular ebook, You Were Made for Greatness!
Copyright 2015 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All Rights Reserved. This article may not be published or printed in any form whatsoever without the written permission of Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission.
Dr. Diorio is a Certified Life Coach, a Certified Biblical Counselor, and a Certified Behavioral Consultant. She is also an award-winning, widely published author of fiction for children and adults. You may reach her at email@example.com or via one of her social media venues below: