Do you have a broken heart? If you’re like me, chances are your heart has been broken at some point. In fact, your heart may have been broken many times over during your life.
So, what can you do if you have a broken heart? Can your broken heart ever be mended? If so, how?
Before I answer that very important question, let’s look at some of the symptoms of a broken heart:
- Depression A broken heart can cause depression and a sense of hopelessness about life.
- Anxiety. A broken heart can make you anxious about the future.
- Suppressed immune system. A broken heart can suppress your immune system, making you more susceptible to illness.
- Physical pain. A broken heart can cause real, physical pain.
- Insomnia. A broken heart can cause sleep disturbances.
- Poor work performance. A broken heart can impair your performance on the job.
- Loss of appetite or overeating. A broken heart can cause eating disorders.
Knowing some of the symptoms of a broken heart is one thing, but fixing a broken heart is quite another. Only one person can fix a broken heart, and that Person is Jesus Christ. Listen to what He says about a broken heart:
- “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18)
- “A broken and a contrite heart—These, O God, You will not despise.” (Psalm 51.17)
- “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”(Psalm 147:3).
- “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes . . . .” (Revelation 21:4).
If your heart is broken today, turn to Jesus. He is not only able and also very willing to heal your broken heart. Because He made you, He knows how to fix you. If you let Him, He will put the pieces of your broken heart back together again. He will take the ashes of your life and turn them into something beautiful (Isaiah 61:3). If He did it for me, He will certainly do it for you.
Copyright 2015 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All rights reserved.