THE GABRIEL GIRLS BLOG
“A Weekly Blog for Teen Girls on Making Your Life Work Right”
Hey, Teen Girlfriends!
Today we’re going to talk about a topic that often lies hidden for a number of reasons, including denial, powerlessness, and embarrassment.
Did you guess what it is? It’s the topic of eating disorders.
So, why should we talk about eating disorders? Because eating disorders affect teenage girls all over the world, including Christian girls. The problem of eating disorders is an extremely serious one that, in many cases, is life threatening.
First off, what is an eating disorder? An eating disorder is a habit of eating that is abnormal or harmful to the human body. Notice the word habit. An eating disorder is something that has become a habit and that has taken control of your life.
Why do eating disorders develop? Here are a few key reasons:
1) Fear of losing control. Eating disorders usually develop when a girl fears losing control of her life for whatever reason. Perhaps she lives in a family that is out of control. Her life is filled with strife, abuse, or conflict that she feels powerless to stop. So, her only way of coping is to find an area in her personal life that she alone can control. Eating is such an area.
2) Fear of not measuring up. Today’s culture bombards us with false images of what the “perfect” girl should look like. She should be pencil-thin, beautiful, and brilliant. If she does not meet these false standards, then something is wrong with her.
At the root of all eating disorders is a lie. A girl with an eating disorder does not see reality correctly. She has a perception problem and does not see herself as she truly is–beautiful in God’s eyes. She sees only a distorted view of herself.
For example, a girl with anorexia will look in the mirror and see herself as overweight. This is a form of deception that Satan uses to destroy. Remember: Satan is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44).
If you are struggling with an eating disorder, there is hope for you. Here are some steps to take:
1) Renounce Satan’s hold on your eating habits in the Name of Jesus.
2) Repent of believing Satan’s lie that you are not good enough, pretty enough, or smart enough.
3) Repent of trying to control your life in a harmful way through disordered eating. Give Holy Spirit total control over your life.
4) Seek the help of your pastor, a trusted Christian adult, and/or a professional counselor.
5) Trust in God’s grace to deliver you as you focus on Jesus, not on your problem.
Many girls have overcome serious eating disorders with the help of God. You can, too!
Copyright 2015 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All Rights Reserved.
All teen girls are welcome on this blog. I require only that you treat one another with the respect and dignity that each of you deserves. Those who do not act respectfully and with dignity will immediately be removed from my mailing list.
Thank you for your cooperation. 🙂
If you are not yet a Gabriel Girl, you can become one as follows:
- Be born again. This means that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and the Lord of your life.If you don’t know how to do this, click here.
- Tell tell others about Jesus wherever you go and whenever you can.
- Commit to following Jesus by reading the Bible and praying every day and by obeying Jesus’ command to love Him and to love your neighbor.
Gabriel Girls will receive special resources to help them in their walk with Jesus. Become a Gabriel Girl now! Accept Jesus as your Savior and Lord. Learn how by clicking here.
Please write to me if you have invited Jesus Christ into your life. I will send you some resources to help you grow in your relationship with Jesus.
Copyright 2018 by MaryAnn Diorio, PhD. All Rights Reserved.