“Guard your heart above all else, for it determines
the course of your life.” ~ Proverbs 4:23
If you are a born-again follower of Jesus Christ, you have His authority and His power to cast out demons. If you are not a born-again follower of Jesus Christ, you do NOT have His authority and His power to cast out demons. If one who is not born again attempts the procedure below, he will be entering the spirit realm illegally and will get hurt. Take serious heed to this warning!
So, with that very strong and serious caveat, let’s continue.
In my last post, I listed some indicators that you (or someone else) has a demon. As I mentioned in that post, you could be either oppressed by a demon or possessed by a demon. If you are a born-again Christian, you cannot be possessed by a demon; you can only be oppressed.
What is the difference? To be oppressed means the demon has made inroads into your soul. To be possessed means a demon has taken over your spirit. The spirit of a born-again follower of Jesus Christ (aka Yeshua) is under the complete control of Holy Spirit, so a demon cannot touch it. The spirit of one who has not accepted Christ as Savior and Lord is under the complete control of Satan. Hence, Satan can take over such a person’s spirit.
When it comes to the soul (mind, emotions, and will), however, a demon can harass both a born-again Christian and a person who has not been born again. Since this blog deals with matters of the heart (the heart being the soul), it is fitting that we discuss here how to get rid of demonic spirits that trouble the soul.
The first step is to determine if your problem is being caused by a demon. Go through the indicators I listed and answer each question as honestly as you can. If you answered yes to any question, it is possible your problem is being caused by a demonic spirit. If so, do the following:
1) Determine what demonic spirit is troubling you. You can do this first of all by asking Holy Spirit to reveal the evil spirit to you. You can also observe reactions to situations. If, for example, you find yourself flying off the handle at the slightest provocation, then it is likely you are in the grips of a spirit of anger.
2) If you are a Christian, you can simply speak to the demon and command it to leave you. If you are a non-Christian, you will need to go to a Christian to cast out the demon for you. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CAST OUT THE DEMON YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN! Unfortunately, not all Christians understand the authority and power they have through Christ. So if you go for help to a Christian who is clueless, find a Bible-believing pastor who will help you.
3) Demons are expelled through the mouth. Often, as they come out, they cause coughing, gagging, and, sometimes, vomiting. Do not be alarmed by this. It is simply a sign that the demon is leaving you.
4) After the demon leaves, ask God to fill those empty places with his love. If you are not a Christian, invite Jesus Christ into your life.
There is much more to be said on the topic of deliverance from demonic spirits. If you would like to know more, there are many resources out there to help you. Here are a few good ones:
- Deliverance from Darkness by James W. Goll
- Pigs in the Parlor by Frank Hammond
- They Shall Expel Demons by Derek Prince
If you believe you need a demon (or more than one) cast out of you and you don’t know where to turn, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be glad to help you.
Questions: 1) Do you think you may have a demon? 2) Are you willing to get rid of it? 3) Do you need help getting rid of it?
You may leave a comment by clicking here. To receive these blog posts in your emailbox, please click here.
If you found this post helpful, please pass it on to someone who can benefit from reading it. Thank you!
To learn more about getting free from bondage, get your copy of Dr. MaryAnn’s popular ebook, You Were Made for Greatness!
Copyright 2015 by Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. All Rights Reserved. This article may not be published or printed in any form whatsoever without the written permission of Dr. MaryAnn Diorio. You may contact her at email@example.com to request permission.
Dr. Diorio is a Certified Life Coach, a Certified Biblical Counselor, and a Certified Behavioral Consultant. She is also an award-winning, widely published author of fiction for children and adults. You may reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or via one of her social media venues below:
Amazon.com Required Disclosure: MaryAnn Diorio is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.